“I’m going to make everything around me beautiful - that will be my life.” — Elsie de Wolfe

Wednesday 7 April 2010

Natural Connections - Spring in my Garden

Growing up I wasn't connected to nature through a garden, we didn't have one! My connection came through regular weekly walks up a long dusty road, past green fields and swaying corn dotted with poppies, until we reached the dark dappled sactuary of a nearby woodland. I still remember walking out of the bright sunshine and smelling the wonderful damp cool smell, as my eyes adjusted to the dancing light inside. The ground was spongy beneath my feel and I always felt that it was a place where magic could happen. Curling fronds of rich green ferns grew huge and abundant as we traipsed through the undergrowth, climbing over fallen trees and marvelling at the strange and wonderful fungi growing there.

"Listen to all the teachers in the woods.
Watch the trees, the animals and all living things
-
you'll learn more from them than from books."
- Joe Coyhis

So gardens weren't a natural habitat for me, I liked my nature wild and untamed. I wanted to be an observer, appreciative and touched by its splendour. So when in recent years I inherited two mature gardens that came with each new home, I struggled. At first I left it completely alone to do its thing, then realised that with a garden that just wasn't an option - I had to get involved, so I did. My garden functions with minimum intervention from me, I care take, rather than garden, just enough to keep a little order. . .I look after what was already there and new things are welcomed as long as they are not too bothered by the slugs and snails! We have lots of them too. :-)

So one beautiful thing that I had missed before getting involved with a garden, was that I had never seen natures cycle up close. I had never been able to gain comfort from that ceaseless round of death and rebirth, my heart had never been lifted by seeing a bare branch begin to bud, or green tips burrowing up through dark earth. Now that I live alongside my garden, I am so grateful to be able to observe the new life and the start of yet another cycle.

"Spring - An experience in immortality." - Henry D. Thoreau

"Spring comes: the flowers learn their colored shapes." - Maria Konopnicka

"A piece of the sky and a chunk of the earth lie lodged in the heart
of every human being." - Thomas Moore

Photos - Spring Springing in my garden yesterday!

11 comments:

Diane said...

It's so uplifting when the first signs of Spring appear. Like you I didn't have a garden when I was growing up and am now the world's worst gardener but I love seeing a garden bursting forth.
I love Spring, I feel lighter and happier, need less sleep and eat less. I feel that am finally coming out of hibernation. I think I should have been a bear...

Ann said...

It is wonderful to see buds on the bare branches making a first appearance. Your photos are lovely. We are a bit behind the buds are only starting to appear. But I did see a daffodil this morning. Spring is here! :)

Susannah said...

Hi Diane, I feel the same way about Spring, isn't it amazing the effect it has on everything, us included! I think maybe some of us have bear DNA. :-)

Thanks for dropping in and for leaving a comment. :-)



Hello Ann, Oooh the first daffodil! The rest won't be too far behind!

Good to see you. :-)

Suz said...

I guess you are a garden wench too

Susannah said...

Hi Suz, good to see you. ;-)

Ellen said...

Oh my gosh, I can't tell you how much I love your pictures and quotes. I agree, I love when the first signs of spring appear, but I must admit, I didn't pay much attention when I lived in California and was into all the hustle and bustle of city life. In the past five years I have lived in Missouri on 10 acres of beautiful land, my life has changed. I so much appreciate the splendor of the various colors of flowers and all the greens of spring. Thanks for you blog.

Susannah said...

Hi Ellen :-)
I am glad you enjoyed the photos, isn't it wonderful to see spring springing! Thanks for dropping in, It is always good to see you here.

paulandrewrussell said...

I miss seeing Primulas. :-(

Susannah said...

Hi Paul, they are lovely flowers aren't they - still, I suspect you have lots of wondrous things to replace them! Thanks very much for dropping in. :-)

Barbara Scully said...

Hiya S
I promise I didnt read this post before I wrote my lastest one, but clearly we feel exactly the same about Spring... although my favourite season is actually Autumn!
Lovely post

Susannah said...

Thanks Barbara and it's nice to see you. :-)

(Right I am off to see your new post now!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails